Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Holding Hands with God...



Holding someone's hand can bring along many different feelings. Maybe you love this person very much, and it's a form of affection. Maybe you are sad or afraid, and holding someone's hand is an act of reassurance and security. Maybe you are lost and you can't find your way, and holding someone's hand is a way to show that you are following close behind. But you wouldn't hold just anyone's hand. You'd only hold someone's hand who you trusted, and loved, and who loved you.

It's like that with God. The difference: He fulfills all of those things at once. When one is a Christian, he or she can experience God's unfailing love, His reassurance and the security of salvation, and His direction and leading in all aspects of life. If you are a Christian, you must trust and love Him. Here are a few little verses and excerpts from hymns and the Bible.


He leadeth me, O blessed thought!
O words with heav’nly comfort fraught!
Whate’er I do, where’er I be
Still ’tis God’s hand that leadeth me.

Refrain:
He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful foll’wer I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes ’mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,
By waters still, o’er troubled sea,
Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.

And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the vict’ry’s won,
E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.

~He Leadeth Me, Joseph Gilmore

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you." ~Psalm 32:8

"And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left." ~Isaiah 30:21

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."

"And the LORD will guide you continually
and satisfy your desire in scorched places
and make your bones strong;
and you shall be like a watered garden,
like a spring of water,
whose waters do not fail." ~Isaiah 58:11

2 comments:

Nathaniel M said...

That is a really awesome post. Thanks for posting!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I just wanted to tell you that I really loved how you put the thoughts together... It's such a good way of looking at it. <3