Friday, February 5, 2010

In Perfect Peace



You know that time between shutting off the light and falling asleep at night? That time that you have nothing to do, so you think about your day or things that made you mad, or things that might happen tomorrow. I've always been a person who would lay awake at night and just think about random things until I fell asleep.

Well, the night before the January SAT, I was really nervous that I wouldn't get enough sleep, and I wasn't feeling well. So, as I climbed into bed that night, I decided I was not going to think about the test. I wasn't going to even think about what I needed to do in the morning. I set my alarm clock, turned off my light, and closed my eyes. As I was just waiting for sleep to come, my mind kept going to the test. I'd mentally slap myself when I got that nervous feeling again. But they still just kept coming to me. So I decided to pray and say Bible verses to myself until I fell asleep. I prayed that God would help me to sleep well and to do well in the morning for His glory. Then, I started say John 1 to myself. I've memorized about 6 verses in the KJV and so I just said that over and over again. I would say part of the verse and then explain that part to myself. Then I would say the rest of the verse, and explain that to myself. Eventually, I fell asleep. The next morning, I woke up with no problem. I felt very rested despite the fact that I only got 6 hours of sleep. I got ready to go. When we got to the school, I felt very calm and collected. The whole test, I didn't feel rushed or worried. It was amazing.

Ever since then, I've tried to go to bed praying and reciting God's Word. I also tell God exactly what He is... or try, at least. I fall asleep thinking of words that describe God. It's great to know that if I died in my sleep, my last conscious thought was about God. God truly does keep me in perfect peace.

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee." - Isaiah 26:3

"In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." - Psalms 4:8

"Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep." - Psalms 121:4

3 comments:

Nathaniel M said...

Hey!

Nice post. A lot of times I become nervous, or bitter, etc. Whenever this happens, when I look to God, I am content. Really nice post, thanks for posting this! A great reminder of God's peace. :)

I hope that you've been doing well.

Anna said...

Very good discipline of the mind for God's glory! Great post! Love you lots, Mom

Kristen said...

Great insight, Lydia. That is so neat.